As experienced accident attorneys, a common question we hear from an accident victim or a victim’s family member is, “What do I need to do after a semi-truck accident?”
What do you do after a semi-truck accident in Sparks, NV?
The first step is to seek medical care immediately. Accidents between large commercial vehicles like semi-trucks and regular family vehicles are often severe and result in significant bodily and vehicle damage.
Once those involved in the accident have received medical attention, the next step is to hire a semi-truck accident attorney in Sparks, NV. It’s absolutely crucial that accident victims and their families get the help of an experienced accident attorney to ensure these commercial drivers are held accountable and the victims and families get all the compensation and care they are entitled to receive. Relying on the insurer of your family or personal vehicle isn’t enough. You need an attorney to represent you and fight for your case.
What to Look for in a Sparks, NV Truck Accident Lawyer
Another common question we hear is, how do I choose the right truck accident lawyer for my case? Not all accident attorneys are familiar with semi-truck or commercial vehicle accident claims. Before you hire a semi-truck accident attorney in Sparks, NV, here is what you should ask the attorney:
- Do you have experience in handling semi-truck accident claims?
The insurance requirements for semis and other large commercial vehicles are different than personal auto requirements. Many commercial insurance companies work hard to make sure they pay out the minimum amount possible. An experienced semi-truck accident attorney knows these tricks and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Do you have past client reviews or testimonials from semi-truck accident claims you have resolved? While an attorney may have experience with semi-truck accident claims, they may not have a lot of success or may not handle the cases to the benefit of the client. Ask to see what past clients have said about the attorney on their case and how their case was handled. You want an attorney who has a human touch and will treat you and your family with respect throughout the entire process.
- What is their success rate for accident claims? Any reputable semi-truck accident lawyer will be happy to share their success rate, especially when they fight hard and are knowledgeable about what victims are entitled to receive.
- What is the attorney’s willingness to work toward a settlement? Working with commercial insurance providers can be tedious as they often try to overwhelm victims and their legal representatives with paperwork and documentation requests. An experienced attorney knows these tricks and is always working towards an advantageous settlement for the victim. An all-or-nothing approach rarely works for the victim of an accident, so it’s essential you work with an attorney who is looking out for your best interest and not just their own payout.
- What type of trial experience do you have? Ideally, your case will be settled out of court and you will receive the maximum benefits you deserve under the current laws. However, in certain cases, insurance companies or commercial firms are willing to take their chances by going to a trial. For this reason, it’s important to have legal representation that is seasoned in trial work and is comfortable arguing your case in a courtroom.
- What are your fees or costs? Before you sign with an attorney, you need to understand what it will cost you. For example, does the attorney work on a retainer AND get a percentage of your settlement? Or do they simply work on commission only where they only get paid if you receive a settlement? You don’t want to be stuck with a massive legal bill if your case isn’t resolved in an advantageous manner for you. Legal bills can mount up as quickly as medical bills if you aren’t aware of the fees and costs upfront.
- The last thing to consider is not a question you can ask but a feeling you get from speaking with a potential semi-truck accident attorney in Sparks, NV. Are you and the attorney compatible? Do they speak to you like a human being? Do they show compassion for everything you and your loved ones are going through? Do they really listen to what you are telling them? A semi-truck accident can be catastrophic, so it’s helpful to have an attorney on your side who you trust and feels like a member of your family.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Semi-Truck Accident Claim?
The last question we often hear from victims and loved ones of accident victims is how long will it take to resolve my case? The details surrounding semi-truck accidents can vary widely from the road conditions to driver experience to vehicles involved to the extent of injuries. For this reason, it can be difficult to give an estimation, especially since the higher the compensation needed, the longer insurance companies will try to delay the payout.
In the case of a fairly straightforward, low-value, clearly documented semi-truck accident, the case often settles within 6 months of the accident. This is if the accident is uncontested by the insurance company and the claim is accepted. As experienced semi-truck accident attorneys, we have found that in more complicated accident cases that have a higher compensation value where the insurance company or commercial firm are contesting their liability, it can take 12 -18 months to settle the case.
Have you or a loved one been involved in a semi-truck accident in Spark, NV, or the surrounding area?
Contact our team today for an initial review of your case.