As personal injury attorneys in Reno, NV, we want to help all victims who have suffered a personal injury due to the negligence of others. While we know we can’t personally help all victims, we wanted to share a brief overview of what to do if your personal injury was due to another person or company’s negligence and when you should hire a personal injury attorney to fight for you.
Negligence is a legal term used to establish who is liable, or at fault, for a personal injury accident. When working with a personal injury attorney, the first step in your claim is to show that another party had a “duty of care” that he or she failed to meet which then caused your injury. Essentially, negligence in personal injury cases is when a person’s actions/or failure to act causes harm to another person.
Spinal Cord Injuries & Claims
Spinal cord injuries are often transformative injuries that significantly change the day-to-day life of a victim and the victim’s family. Spinal cord injuries can vary in severity but involve damage to the nerves in the spinal column.
Below are a few common questions and answers we get about spinal cord injuries
• What is a common cause of spinal cord injuries? Spinal cord injuries are commonly caused by automobile crashes, falls, acts of violence (like shootings or stabbings), sports-related accidents, and errors made during neck or back surgical procedures.
• Why are spinal cord injuries serious? The spinal cord is the center of the human nervous system and controls many bodily functions, like breathing and bladder control. Spinal cord injuries can leave a victim partially or totally paralyzed and cause permanent damage to everyday body function.
• How do spinal cord injuries cause paralysis? Spinal cord injuries often cause permanent damage to the nerves in the spine, which cuts off sensation and the ability for the nervous system to carry messages to different parts of the body – which causes paralysis.
• How long does it take for a spinal cord injury to show symptoms? Spinal cord injuries are often present immediately following the trauma. However, there are other symptoms of the injury that may present in the hours/days following the injury. It is typically dependent on the location of the injury and the severity of the trauma.
• What are common signs of a spinal cord injury? Common signs of a spinal cord injury include issues with walking, loss of control over bowel or bladder, inability to move limbs, numbness or tingling in the fingers and toes, unconsciousness, headaches, pain or pressure in the back or neck, or an unnatural positioning of the head.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to the negligence of another person, it’s crucial to speak with a personal injury lawyer right away. A personal injury attorney will help you gather the data and facts surrounding your injury or accident to prove negligence.
If you are unsure whether another party is at fault or believe they are only partially at fault, you should still speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. A spinal cord injury can significantly change your life and it’s important to get the compensation you deserve to get the ongoing care you need to live a fulfilling life.
Contact our experienced personal injury attorneys today.